Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Awkward.

That's how I feel using this. I've been so used to Xanga all my life. I needed a change and something different. Xanga was good for the mediocre and unimportant rants. I suppose this is my upgrade. I can't exactly say how devoted I'll be to this; I'll try to write as much as I can.

I got home today bursting with thoughts about my future. Every time around my birthday, I tend to re-evaluate my life and the events which led up to that day. I'm sure everyone does this; I'm not alone in that aspect. I'll be turning eighteen this Friday. I'm always excited for my birthday, but this year seems to be different. I'm still excited, but anxious at the same time. I'm going to be legal. I'm going to be an adult. I admit - I'm scared about being thrown into the real world. Having more responsibility than I do now is such a difficult idea for me to fathom. I've always had my parents guide me, but here I am, already making my own decisions about my future.

I'm very anxious about the decade left I have of education. This is what I get for wanting to become a doctor. That goal is near the top of my list. I want to do something amazing and saving the lives of children is the best thing I can possibly do for humanity - I want to be at their beginning so I can guarantee them a wonderful life. Medical school is what I'm scared of the most. From all the research I've done these past few days, I'll be at least a quarter of a million dollars in debt from undergraduate and graduate studies. Plus, during medical school, I won't have much of a life at all. Studying and learning are going to be what I live for. Right now, it seems like I won't have time for anything else like traveling or having my own family. Sacrifice is a large part of life, but, deep down, I don't want to give up my original dreams.

Do I want to give up a few of my dreams? Just to satisfy others?

"You didn't get it. Sacrifice is a part of life. It's supposed to be. It's not something to regret. It's something to aspire to."
- The Five People You Meet in Heaven


EDIT. 8:52PM
$430?! For senior pictures? WTF. That's half a thousand dollars. Practically. AH. This is insane. I just needed to get that out. But dude, wtf.

2 comments:

Jack said...

=)

Ken Schreihofer said...

Yes, I know. It's ridiculously expensive... just keep the proofs they send you, it's not worth buying a photo set.